Response to the emergency caused by the COVID-19 crisis in Mali
Direct: 725,395 (160,848 women, 101,414 children under the age of 15). The population of the Kayes health district and residents on the borders of Mauritania and Senegal, health workers and community health workers.
Indirect: 9,720 thanks to the awareness raised in health posts.
July 2020 - July 2021
The incidence of the COVID-19 pandemic is a great concern in the Kayes region, a geographical enclave with a high migratory movement of its population both in its national and international area.
Malian diasporas are mainly concentrated towards France and highlight the precarious situation of the region and the country. The current health crisis threatens to worsen it due to the fragile safety situation of the population. The Kayes region has a great natural wealth, with gold mines that, however, turn it into an area with high rates of robberies and pillage. Despite the involvement of health authorities, the insufficient structure and the few health resources available in the country are evident.
- To strengthen prevention and response measures against the COVID-19 pandemic crisis in the Kayes region and specifically in the health district of this region.
- To improve the capacities of affected and at-risk populations.
- To strengthen the 53 health centers in the Kayes region district to face the pandemic.
The project will be based on:
- The installation of handwashing devices with chlorinated water in public spaces.
- The distribution of mobile handwashing systems and distribution of kits in hospitals to benefit the most vulnerable families..
- An awareness-raising campaign in health centers and in communities..
The project will be jointly developed with all other actors and institutions, always seeking synergy with them for the design of necessary, sustainable interventions, in line with the government action plans and other humanitarian interventions.
Acción Contra el Hambre actively participates in meetings, both on a local, regional and national level to coordinate and follow up the response to COVID-19 along with health authorities, with the aim of planning the actions to be implemented depending on the evolution of the situation. All the information gathered throughout the project will be shared with the partners involved. The implementation will be therefore fully participatory and will be attentive to the needs that might be modified or reconverted.